UA - kaldi instructional

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » UA - kaldi instructional » kaldi instructional forum » Week 0 Agenda

Week 0 Agenda

Posts 1 to 4 of 4

1. Introductions
    a. why you're here
    b. course purpose and schedule
    c. using forum
2. Atmosphere Stuff
    a. Make sure to use `medium2` instance
    b. Understanding Allocation Units (AUs)
        - 2304 AUs equates to: 4 CPU machine running 24 hours for 24 days. So if you use instances and suspend them when not in use that'll give you compute for whole month except for 6 days.
    c. Suspend v. Shutoff v. Shelf
        - see this wiki page to understand the differences
3. Backing up to a Volume
    a. https://github.com/michaelcapizzi/kaldi … e-optional
4. Steps to access instance, docker, jupyter
    a. Accessing instance
        - `ssh -L [port]:localhost:[port] [username]@[ip]`  --> you are telling your local machine to pay attention to `port X` on the instance
        - if you see error with port in use, run these two steps
            1. `sudo lsof -i:[port]` --> will tell you which processes are running on the `port`
            2. `sudo kill -9 [PID]`  --> will kill the processes running on that `port`
            3. exit instance and rerun `ssh` command
        - get in the habit of `git pull` to make sure you have any updates made to the codebase
    b. Accessing docker
        - from `/scratch/kaldi`, `./start_container.sh`  --> starts the container
    c. Accessing jupyter
        - from `egs/INSTRUCTIONAL/`, `./start_jupyter.sh`  --> starts the `jupyter` notebook
        - copy the `url` and paste into local browser
5. Adding Michael and Blake access to instance
    a. Run this command from your instance: `sed -i.bak -E "s%(users:x:[0-9]+:[a-z,]+)%\1mcapizzi,bjoyce3,%" /etc/group`
6. Using `tmux`
    a. https://github.com/michaelcapizzi/kaldi … x-optional
7. File Structure of `kaldi` repo
    a. https://www.eleanorchodroff.com/tutoria … ation.html
8. What to expect next week

Another way to kill a Docker instance if you get the error with port in use:

Code:
docker ps

will show you your currently running Docker instances, including an ID:

Code:
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                          COMMAND             CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                    NAMES
5f8ffa848e6b        mcapizzi/kaldi_instructional   "/bin/bash"         15 hours ago        Up 15 hours         0.0.0.0:8880->8880/tcp   blissful_elion
Code:
docker kill 5f8ffa848e6b

will kill the Docker instance with the given ID.

That should allow you to start a new Docker container with the same port.

I just ran notebook "0_1" and did run_sh with -n 4. It was a lot faster, something like 30-45 minutes.

hammond wrote:

I just ran notebook "0_1" and did run_sh with -n 4. It was a lot faster, something like 30-45 minutes.

Yes!  Since we have 4 CPUs on our instance, you can do that.  Anything larger than 4 probably won't make a difference though.

You are here » UA - kaldi instructional » kaldi instructional forum » Week 0 Agenda